IMO Level 1 First Responder Course
Vikoma has been accredited by the Nautical Institute to deliver the IMO Level 1 First Responder Course. This course is specifically designed to equip personnel to manage a harbour or shoreline oil spills.
The personnel that manage a shoreline or harbour clean-up operation need to be able to organise and supervise work teams using the appropriate equipment and techniques to successfully clean an oiled site. They need to understand the reasoning behind prioritising sites, understanding the types of shoreline, the environmental issues, selection of equipment and the correct techniques to carry out a successful clean-up.
This course provides the skills and knowledge to act as effective oil spill clean-up supervisors.
- IMO Level 1 course for operational Staff.
- Developed to be conducted as an intensive 4 day classroom based course with additional practical hands on training.
- The course is designed in accordance with IMO Level 1 model course guidelines.
- The target group for first responder are staff designated to manage and lead a small group of response staff, take part in response exercised and have a basic technical knowledge with reasonable communication skills.
- Held at either Vikoma site on Isle of Wight or at Customers own facility.
- Understand the behaviour of oil when spilled on water.
- Identify the Hazards of oil spill response and develop Safety Plans.
- Identify environmental sensitivities.
- Understand, select and deployment of oil containment booms.
- Understand, select and deployment of Skimming systems.
- Storage and transport of recovered oil.
- Apply dispersants to oil spills.
- Understand the appropriate use of absorbents.
- Develop effective shore line cleaning techniques.
- Apply effective equipment maintenance systems.
- Understand the need for oil sampling and data collection during a oil spill.
- Effectively deal with wild life casualties.